The Netflix is one of the best TV and movie streaming services, but users in America tend to get more, better content than in any other region. Today I will show you a work around so you can watch American Netflix outside of America.
This work around works for your PC, laptop, phone or tablet. If ycou have any questions please leave a question below.
Has Netflix banned VPNs?
- For a long time, using a VPN was all a user needed to do to watch US Netflix, but the company has begun blocking VPNs and proxies, so some might not work for everyone and may stop working in the future. Netflix announced in early 2016 that it would prevent users from using a VPN or proxy to access content from another region, to respect and enforce content licensing by geographic location.
- Netflix has begun enforcing the ban on many popular VPN services, so they have to continually determine work around. Netflix doesn’t say that people using VPNs or proxies will have their accounts banned, but only that they will be limited to watching content available in their own country.
- This has inference on those using VPNs to ‘virtually cross borders’ and means a user accessing a foreign Netflix service at his own risk – the company is unlikely to ban his IP address on a chosen VPN or remove the account, but it does have the right to.
How to use a VPN?
- The first step is to download a VPN to your computer or device, some are browser plug-in rather than apps, but they all work in very similar ways. Once a user signed up, downloaded and installed the app, he will need to launch it on the computer or on a device.
Once the app is open, the user will need to connect to the country he is trying to trick Netflix into thinking he is in. In this case, if a user wants to choose US, then he can do so by navigating to the US on the Map view and choosing a pin in the US. But a simpler method is to click ‘list’ and choose US from there.
After a few moments, a user should be connected, he can now browse to Netflix and he should find that he have access to the US content.
Why Do You Have to Use a VPN to watch US Netflix?
- If a user wants to get the full experience of Netflix, access all of its shows and movies, then he can only do that if he lives in the USA. If he lives outside the USA, he will need a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to make Netflix think he is in the USA by using a VPN to change the IP address.
Reports found online show that people with US Netflix have access to around 7000 movie and TV titles, while, for example, Australia has access to 1900. Hollywood, other TV and movie creators have old, outdated content copyright laws that only allow TV, movies to be shown in the country they are created. If another country wants to show that content, they must pay huge amounts of money to buy those content rights from the original creator.
This is why a VPN is so great, it allows a user to get past those restrictions and route the internet connection to a different country to access that country’s content. For instance, if a user is in Sydney, Australia, he can turn a VPN on; select a location in Los Angeles, USA and then start watching all the US shows that he couldn’t get access to in Sydney.
Best VPN Services to Access American Netflix Abroad
- Express VPN – Express VPN is the best VPN service to access US Netflix from Abroad and watch titles from the US library. They have a great server network in the US with multiple servers on both the East and West Coasts. Wherever a user in the world, simply pick one of these locations when he turn on Express VPN and that will give him access to the 7,000 titles available on US Netflix.
As soon as the sign-up was complete, he will get his login details, downloaded and set up the software, and because their program is so simple to use, he can log in to Netflix in less than 10 minutes.
If a user is outside the US and still wants to enjoy his favorite shows, movies and stream US Netflix, do a favor and try the Express VPN. It will allow a user to access US Netflix so he can watch any show he likes.
- Nord VPN – Nord VPN is a decent choice in its own right, but it has occasionally struggled with accessing Netflix. Nord VPN has over 1000 servers to choose from 400+ titles in the US alone, including servers that are dedicated to high speed streaming. The variety means that a user shouldn’t face any problems with connection speeds.
It’s one of the most sensitive VPNs available, and they also offer 24/7 support via live chat with decent response times.
Nord VPN is a solid VPN in nearly all respects, but it’s not necessarily the best option for accessing Netflix specifically. Due to Nord VPN’s popularity, Netflix actively seeks out and restricts known IP addresses used by the VPN. It quickly replaces these addresses, but this back and forth struggle means that connecting to American Netflix can sometimes be difficult. Nord VPN is a great VPN for usability and speed, but watching US Netflix isn’t really its strong suit. It’s probably a better bet to go for Express VPN for this use case, as both are priced similarly.