The FCC just voted to end #NetNeutrality and restrict the open Internet as it is right now. You have probably seen it in the news.
In this blog post I will show you what Net Neutrality is and how to keep it with some small tricks.
If you have any questions please leave a comment below.
What is Net Neutrality?
It is the principle that governments should order to the Internet service providers to treat all data on the Internet and the same. They should not separate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication.
Under these principles, internet service providers are unable to deliver content customized to the capabilities of a specific device or user. It also offers free services, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content. It is mainly a public information network that will end up being most useful if all content, websites and platforms should be treated equally.
What is a VPN?
VPN is the short form of the Virtual Private Network. It allows an internet service provider to create a secure connection to another network over the Internet. VPNs can be used to access region restricted websites, shield your browsing activity from prying eyes on public Wi-Fi, and more. Like, when a user connects his personal computer to a VPN, the computer acts as if it’s on the same local network as in the VPN. After connecting to a VPN, all his network traffic is sent over a secure connection to the VPN.
This allows him to securely access local network resources even when he is on the other side of the world. He will also be able to use the Internet as if he was present at the VPN’s location, which has some benefits if he is using pubic Wi-Fi network.
Uses of a VPN connection:
- People can access a business network while travelling
- A user can access his/her home network while travelling
- A user can hide his/her browsing activity from the local network and ISP
- People can also access geo blocked websites
- It can help in keeping bypass internet censorship
- It can also help a user in downloading files with a better internet speed
Is it safe to use a VPN connection?
Not all VPN service providers are worth a user’s trust. Some can carefully log in to a user connection times, dates, IP addresses, keep track of how long he is connected. Some even can keep an eye on the types of traffic that a user is sending through their networks while he is logged in. They will also tell the user some of its information in order to make sure, one is not doing anything illegal, or anything that would damage their network. But that level of inquiring does the kind of go against the whole purpose of a VPN.
The best ones keep as few logs in as possible, and aren’t interested in what a user do while he is connected at all. Some VPN service providers don’t even track when the user logged in or out, and even if they do have to keep some logs, they remove them periodically in order to protect your privacy. After all, the reason a user pays for a VPN is for privacy and security, and if they keep their own data, they’re the weak link in that chain. Then they can change the VPN connection immediately whenever they will feel.
Ultimately, a user will have to trust the VPN provider; the only way to get that level of trust is to do homework, verify their promises and services is very important. Then to take additional steps to protect the device even if they’re not or they fail a user somehow. Although, there are good VPN providers out there, who are committed to the user’s security and privacy that are worth of trust.
Some Tips to Boost a User’s VPN Connection Speed
- A user should check his internet speed – It is a great idea to firstly check the internet speed without a VPN. Therefore, if the internet connection is slow after connecting to a VPN connection, then it means that VPN connection is not responsible for the slowdown.
- Play with the VPN internet protocol settings – Every VPN connection has some default settings; a user can set and edit those settings as they want.
- Restart the router or modem – Sometimes it may be just as simple as having to restart the device. But sometimes the router or the modem may slow down because of memory leaks. So, if a user has to set up a router with VPN and the speed is insufficient, he can use VPN solely on his computer or phone. Setting up the VPN on a router is generally slower than connecting to a VPN from a device.
- One can also change the server location – If a user choose a server geographically distant from the actual location, it could slow down the internet speed. So, connecting with a close connection can increase the VPN speed due to a small distance factor.
- Adjust the encryption level – A user can also change the encryption that he is using. This is only advisable if he is not using the VPN specifically for security reasons, but for accessing geo-restricted content, such as streaming services.
- People should use a wired connection from the device they are using – Most of the wireless connections use a shared channel to transmit data to many devices in a user’s home. This can slow down that user’s WIFI connection. He should try a wired connection network, as this will definitely increase the internet speed.
- One should turn off firewall and all other local security software – Firewalls and the antivirus software can slow down a VPN connection speed because it filters through outgoing data. If a user temporarily disables these tools, he can check whether they are causing Virtual Private Network speed issues or not. But it is recommended that a user should keep both firewalls and the antivirus software turned on all the time.
- Restart the device – This is an old-fashioned trick, but it could help increase VPN speed and get a user back to enjoying his content.
How to Keep Net Neutrality with a VPN Connection?
Most of the VPN connection provider fully supports Windows, Mac OSX, Android and IOS platforms, and many also support Linux and Chrome OS. It also supports Blackberry OS and Windows Mobile devices. So, to sign up for a VPN service, a user must simply visit its website and follow the links. The VPN provider will give the user instructions on what to do next or some full reviews can have all “The process” section that runs through the whole process for each provider.
Interestingly, there does not appear to be much relationship between what a user pays for VPN and the service he receives. So, it is suggested that a user should read the reviews including the feedbacks or comments, then take advantage of any free trials and money-back guarantees to help him to decide.
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) creates a secure connection between a user’s computer and a server in a location that he is choosing. This way, he can connect to the destination site of his choice more anonymously and with encrypted data. This also depends up on how it works for getting around geo-restricted content.
But since the VPN is a sort of encrypting and forwarding tunnel, it can make the user’s internet slower, depending up on few factors. The user’s location to the chosen server, the security protocol used and the type of encryption used are all contributing factors that might affect the internet speed.
A VPN is a must have connection for those people who are looking for added layers of security and privacy when browsing online. It’s also very useful for getting around geo-restricted content. But all the added security can lead a VPN user to experience certain speed loss.
What are the things offered by a VPN provider?
The things offered by a VPN provider are:
- Most of the VPN provider will charge a certain amount of price, some can charge less and others can charge more with many added facilities.
- Every VPN will always demand some internet speed loss due to extra distances traveled and the processing demands of encryption or decryption.
- All VPN providers promise privacy
- Many of the VPN providers promise good technical measures used to prevent an adversary which is forcing access to a user’s data.
- If a user needs to connect to servers located all over the place, then he will need that server which will be located where he wants it to be.
- Some VPN providers will only let a user to connect with one device to their service at a time, while others can allow them to connect with PC, laptop, phone, Xbox and tablet all at once.
- Many VPN users can be the beginners, so the customer support feature is that thing which actually answers the questions in a reasonable timeframe and knows what it is talking about.
- So, the best way to decide if a service is suitable for a user or not, is to try it before they will buy. One can try the free trial packs and money back guaranties.